Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Why we might use subversion instead of arch.

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Why we might use subversion instead of arch.
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 16:25:50 -0500

On Thu, Feb 26, 2004 at 07:51:29PM +0000, John Goerzen wrote:
> Setting up a local revision library is out of the question due to the
> apalling space requirements this would require.

Have you tried, using greedy sparse libraries?

I've _manually_ (cp -al + patch) kept _multiple_ hard-linked trees for every
kernel version since 2.5.35 or so, and the space requirements seems quite
reasonable (which makes sense -- the changes for each new revision are often
fairly large, but the complete tree is far, far larger).  I think (I'm not at
work right now) the sum of these hard-link trees, for a few hundred-odd
source trees, is about equivalent to 2-3 non-hard-linked source trees; I'll
look up the actual numbers when I get to work.

> Cached revs are used -- but that does no good for commits, which are the
> slowest operation.

I think for the kernel, cached revs are rather problematic anyway, since it's
so big; using a sparse+greedy revlib and --link (`tla get --link', and do
`tla changes --link' periodically) would probably be a lot better.

Clearly you're not going to be able to much with only a few hundred MB free
on your disk -- but this is true for kernel development in general unless you
spend a lot of time stressing over disk space management!  Bump it to 1-2GB,
and things become a lot more reasonable.

In my mind, the `.id problem' is actually the biggest thing; it'll be nice to
see how Robert's changes to optimize .id files to use inode-summaries work,
though in my mind, a change to using a different .id file representation
seems the most promising for the long term (the primary problem there being
to add some mechanism for file-specific diffing, since really want diffs on
`consolidate .id files' to use 0 context).

-Miles
--
In New York, most people don't have cars, so if you want to kill a person, you
have to take the subway to their house.  And sometimes on the way, the train