Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Why we might use subversion instead of arch.

From: Pierce T . Wetter III
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Why we might use subversion instead of arch.
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 16:45:54 -0700

  That was quite a shock. For projects with lots of small changes, it
probably is inconsequential, but for me, on a dialup, it would really
suck.

I use a dial-up and I can't imagine a more dial-up friendly tool than
arch.   When I need to merge changes from others, with their own
archives, I typically create a local mirror from them.   In updating
my local mirror, I read from them just about the minimum amount of
data that is sufficient and thereafter operate entirely locally.  In
combination with a local revision library, operations on these many
archives are just about as fast as can be.

Yeah, I also use a dialup (last person in Japan to do so, I think :-), which
makes CVS pretty much unusable, but arch is a pleasure.

Note that unlike Tom I only use a local mirror for some archives; for my `main' archive, I actually just directly access the remote archive, and in most case this is just fine over a dialup. More specifically, using a local greedy revision-library (which operates automatically once you set it up), it
almost always operates `optimally' bandwidth-wise for transferring
changesets, with a small amount of additional latency-bounded overhead
because arch is using a dumb archive (not particularly objectionable).

[I think the main problem seems to be:

  (1) A bit of culture shock -- people are so stuck in `CVS mode', that
arch's new take on things takes some time to wrap your head around (during which most people seem to post `how arch should be changed'
      messages to this mailing list :-)

I'm definitely in culture shock which is why I posted. As I said, and the FAQs say, some documentation explaining that "new take on things" would help quite a bit.

I'm still not really sure I grok arch, and blah--blah--blah isn't really helping...

My issue right now is that any development process needs to decide where "truth" lives.

In CVS land, that is HEAD, from the central server. In our case, we use CVS with a pretty simple model, because revision numbers are meaningless for us. There's what's deployed, and
there's what's in development. Periodically, development gets deployed.

In arch land, you have to decide where truth lives. There's also explicit provision for versions, which ends up confusing me, because I'm not used to thinking about versions.

Though come to think of it, perhaps I'm just trying too hard to use arch's "cool" features. It would be much simpler if I just setup a single shared archive on a WebDAV server. Then tla and CVS
are much similar. I'll have to think about that.

[Actually I think it's not really `new', it's the old patch-files +
      lots of trees approach that linux kernel hackers should be very
familiar with, only with arch doing all the annoying grotty work and bookkeeping; since I think this approach is really rather _good_ except for all the grotty work and bookkeeping, I also think arch is the bee's
      knees.]

(2) Arch needs a tiny bit of setup to really work well, revision libraries
      in particular, so a completely raw user may get a bad impression.
[Note for someone setting up a server too, subversion almost certainly
      requires a lot _more_ work!]

  (3) Of course there are rough edges, though tla has come a long way
      recently...

The main rough edge I see is that I think local-mirrors of a remote archive should allow you to commit, with the changes propagating upwards to the source. Especially a
greedy mirror.

 Pierce