Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Why we might use subversion instead of arch.

From: Charles Duffy
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Why we might use subversion instead of arch.
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 18:59:28 -0600

On Fri, 2004-02-20 at 17:45, Pierce T.Wetter III wrote:
>    My issue right now is that any development process needs to decide
> where "truth" lives.
>
>    In CVS land, that is HEAD, from the central server. In our case, we
> use CVS with a pretty simple model, because revision numbers are
> meaningless for us. There's what's deployed, and there's what's in
> development. Periodically, development gets deployed.
>
>    In arch land, you have to decide where truth lives. There's also
> explicit provision for versions, which ends up confusing me, because
> I'm not used to thinking about versions.

Let me suggest something like the following:

  ${YOUR_OFFICIAL_ARCHIVE}/myproject--release
  ${YOUR_OFFICIAL_ARCHIVE}/myproject--devel

and there you are. Use tla-pqm or somesuch to control commits into
${YOUR_OFFICIAL_ARCHIVE}/myproject--devel, and do tags over to
${YOUR_OFFICIAL_ARCHIVE}/myproject--release manually as appropriate.
Developers can have ${MY_PERSONAL_ARCHIVE}/myproject--devel, but that's
pretty clearly not where truth lives unless it's been merged over to the
official archive.

How's that work for you?