[Gnu-arch-users] upgrading & installing tla 1.2

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] upgrading & installing tla 1.2
Date: 29 Feb 2004 11:05:14 -0500

I just installed tla-1.2 and it works fine and all.  Thank you very much.
But the upgrade process and the install process do not work quite as well
as I'd like it (although this is not new in 1.2), so here some notes in
case someone gets bored and wants to tell me what I did wrong or how to fix
those things:

======================

>From my tla-1.2pre1 tree I did:
- tla update
- tla build-config emf.net-tla/devo.tla-1.2
- grep configs/emf.net-tla ./\=RELEASE-ID
and the grep told me tla-1.2pre1 :-(
The resulting tla binary also says "1.2pre1" although I triple checked that
it is actually built from more recent code.

======================

./config.status --recheck

did not do anything, so I had to re-run configure manually, which forced me
to re-figured out the arguments I need to give it.

======================

I have GNU diff and GNU diff3 in /sw/bin as is standard with the `fink'
distribution on Mac OS X.  But I have /usr/bin before in my PATH so the
configure proces complained that I didn't have the right diff tools.
It would be better to automatically try the various `diff's in PATH so
I don't need to pass it on the configure command line.

======================

When I passed --with-gnu-diff=/sw/bin/diff, configure went on happily even
though I did not pass --with-gnu-diff3=/sw/bin/diff3.  Either that means
that I would have built an non-working tla, or that means that the message
telling me to state --with-gnu-diff and --with-gnu-diff3 is
overly pessimistic.

======================

After re-running configure, make failed because the *.d files still
referred to some old directory and were not considered out of date.

======================

I could not find a makefile target to build the info files out of the
texinfo "sources".

======================

I could not find any makefile target to install the docs.
Nor to install the gpg-check script.
I expected those to be installed automatically as part of `make install'.

======================

I built the info files with the following command and got the following
error messages:

=build/docs-tla-1% makeinfo --force -I ../../src/docs-tla/texi arch.texi
../../src/docs-tla/texi/indexes.texi:3: Node `Indexes' requires a sectioning
command (e.g., @unnumberedsec).
../../src/docs-tla/texi/little-help.texi:3: Next field of node `Uh....a Little
Help Here?' not pointed to (perhaps incorrect sectioning?).
../../src/docs-tla/texi/indexes.texi:3: This node (Indexes) has the bad Prev.
../../src/docs-tla/texi/indexes.texi:3: `Indexes' has no Up field (perhaps
incorrect sectioning?).
=build/docs-tla-1%

I think that's it for now,

        Stefan