[Gnu-arch-users] Re: grokking arch

From: Matthew Dempsky
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: grokking arch
Date: 24 Mar 2004 22:41:00 -0600

Miles Bader <address@hidden> writes:

> You can lookup past flame-wars on this list for details, but UUIDs are
> basically `safer' for several reasons, and embody the essential spirit
> of taglines a bit more purely (they are meaningless strings, which need
> only be unique).

I can understand that... recently in a major API change in Pika I did
a global s/cports/ports/ and unfortunately a few files had cports in
the tagline and with all the modified files I missed the D and A lines
in tla changes.  However, the next patch I changed them back which
resulted in another D/A pair, but at least once I star-merged them
into my integration branch the little patch incident became a mere
artifact of changelog history.

> I think Tom uses what he does because that's what his emacs frob
> happens to generate and he doesn't care enough to change it.

I use that frob too. :-)

-jivera