Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Descriptive tags

From: Gergely Nagy
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Descriptive tags
Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 16:00:18 +0200

> With CVS, when making a release I'd tag all files at the current revision
> and say "that's my RELEASE_1_2_3", so I'd know that's release version 1.2.3.
>
> >From what I can tell with arch, there's no real way of making up names as I
> go along for tags.  I've got the concept of commit branches and tag
> branches, and that's good as far as it goes, but I'd really like to be able
> to say to Arch directly "give me my X.Y.Z release".
>
> It's probably a conceptual problem, as I said, in the "how we make releases"
> story, but I'm stumped, and I can't find anything in the Arch tutorial
> (which, up 'til now, has pretty much answered all my questions).

That's what configs are for! For my projects, I have a --configs--
branch, which has a layout like this:

mainline/
  project--version
releases/
  project--release
  project--release+1

Eg:

mainline/
  foo--0.1
releases/
  foo--0.1.0
  foo--0.1.1

Each file looks like this:

# Config for foo--0.1.0

foo-0.1.0       foo--mainline--0.1--patch-1234

IIRC, the tutorial has a section about this too. Anyways, these files
can be fed to tla buildcfg, which then, reconstructs the tree. Given the
above layout, I can do this:

$ tla buildcfg releases/foo-0.1.1

And have the foo-0.1.1 release in the appropriate directory.

Pretty neat, in my opinion, and way more flexible than CVS's symbolic
tags.