[Gnu-arch-users] DAG of branches a la linux kernel

From: Andrzej Wąsowski
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] DAG of branches a la linux kernel
Date: Sat, 15 May 2004 16:24:12 +0200

Hi,

The bitkeeper how-to shipped with linux kernel suggest that a single
developer should use multiple trees in work with the same project. They
draw a little example with three levels. An upstream tree (let's say
Linus' tree), three branches from the upstream tree---each branch
devoted to implementing a single independent feature; finally a testing
tree which contains changesets from all the three development
branches. As a result a developer can push up changesets for each
feature independently, but can still built a kernel with all his changes
included using the testing branch. This is the overview they give:

  upstream-tree
    /  |  \
   /   |   \
  dev1 dev2 dev3
   \   |   /
    \  |  /
  testing-tree

I suppose that what they call trees, is called tagged branches in
arch. I can easily create dev1 dev2 and dev3 as tagged branches with tla
(as in the "Candice example" in the tutorial), but I do not know how
should I create a testing branch accumulating all change sets. How I do
that?

Andrzej

PS. And please do not make it a throll thread on "why bk is bad". I'd
kill such thread anyway...