Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: category version limited to digits and dots

From: James Blackwell
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: category version limited to digits and dots
Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 21:12:06 -0400

>>>Why is there a limitation in arch that the project version must only
>>>contain digits and dots?
>>

>> I don't know, that's just the way it is. It's a little annoyance, but in
>> reality it just does not matter. There are lots of ways around it.
>>

> It would be good if "tla executives" would reconsider this "executive
> decision" :-)

Glad you realized I was kidding around. Seriously, the reason is that
once alphas enter the equation, sorting stops making sense. For example,
right now, when you type tla get this--that, tla is capable of figuring
out what version is the newest and getting that automatically.

Things could get messy really quickly if there were 2.6a and 2.6b. In
english, yeah, 'a' comes before 'b', but in some languages, there are
different characters in different orders.