[Gnu-arch-users] Re: category version limited to digits and dots

From: Miles Bader
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: category version limited to digits and dots
Date: 20 May 2004 10:52:21 +0900

Milan Cvetkovic <address@hidden> writes:
> So, I want to say "lets see all the branches project release v1"
>
> $ tla abrowse project--v1
>    project
>      project--v1-release
>        project--v1-release--1.0
>        project--v1-release--1.1
>
> but wait, I didn't want v1.1 - I only wanted v1 !

I presume you meant `rbrowse' (where the limit term is a regular
expression), not `abrowse' (wher it's not); then:

   tla rbrowse project--v1-

should do what you want.

> tla abrowse, I would like to group branches related to devo-3.0 or
> stable-2.0. Nobody is interested any more for 1.0 and its patches - it
> is in the archive for historical reasons.

   tla rbrowse 'project--v[23]\.0-'

> Now I know why this limitation is there (ability to do "tla get
> proj--branch"), but I still wish it weren't. :-)

I'm with you:  even though I find the current syntax pretty usable, I
wish arch had a more flexible syntax that allowed arbitrarily nested
components, with `version' components going anywhere the user chooses.

This wouldn't be too hard to do, if starting from scratch -- but we're
not starting from scratch.  For better or for worse, arch uses the
syntax it uses; changing it is a Big Deal, and basically isn't going to
happen.  So things go...

-Miles
--
I'm beginning to think that life is just one long Yoko Ono album; no rhyme
or reason, just a lot of incoherent shrieks and then it's over.  --Ian Wolff