Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: tla-update-ids lacks support for filenames with

From: Jan Hudec
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: tla-update-ids lacks support for filenames with spaces
Date: Mon, 24 May 2004 09:14:47 +0200

On Mon, May 24, 2004 at 11:48:27 +0900, Miles Bader wrote:
> Charles Duffy <address@hidden> writes:
> > whereas with shell, the Easy Way Out [use of --unescaped] fails if
> > someone is evil enough to have filenames with carriage returns.
>
> Hmmm.  I do most of my actual processing in awk, and I suppose I could
> always expand simple escapes; however I'm not really sure what to do
> some of the escape sequences tla uses; for instance:
>
>    $ tla escape "`echo -e 'hello\377world'`"
>    hello\(U+FF)world
>
> Does this mean that there can be "\(U" escapes with values greater than 255?
>
> No clue what to do in that case...

The U escapes are meant to mean "Unicode code point". Currently, tla
does not yet work in unicode internaly, so such codes will not appear.
(tla will refuse to archive a file with non-ascii name to avoid broken
archives later). Unicode support is planned, however.

You'll have to use a language that uses, or can use, unicode internaly.
tcl, python and perl all do (tcl and python always do, perl only on
request).

                                                 Jan 'Bulb' Hudec
<address@hidden>