Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Some issues

From: Tom Lord
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Some issues
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2004 19:42:13 -0700 (PDT)

    > From: Matthieu Moy <address@hidden>
    > Michael Poole <address@hidden> writes:

    > >> Changesets are tar files. They cannot be posted easily to a mailing
    > >> list for approval and commit; metadata tends to get lost.

    > > How so?  If you have the tar file, you can use show-changeset to get a
    > > summary of the changes or apply it to your tree.  I have not plumbed
    > > the details of some of the files and directories in a changeset, but
    > > most of them seem to be there for a reason.

    > See this discussion about that :

    > http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/gnu-arch-users/2004-04/msg00650.html

    > tla show-changeset  is nice, but  not bidirectional. You  can't easily
    > build a  changeset based  on the output  of show-changeset.  There's a
    > clear lack here.

You are so right.  I've just been replying to a message on the GCC
list on (in part) exactly this issue.   I claimed that someone could
implement what you are talking about in a matter of hours (modulo
becoming familiar with the source) and that we could finalize a review
of it in a matter of days on gnu-arch-users.