Re: [Gnu-arch-users] [BUG] tla cat-archive-log downloads .listing files

From: David Allouche
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] [BUG] tla cat-archive-log downloads .listing files unnecessarily
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 2004 10:49:17 +0200

On Wed, 2004-09-08 at 01:44 +0200, Matthieu Moy wrote:
> It seems that tla downloads unnecessary .listing files when running
> cat-archive-log:

[incriminating strace log]

> tla knows exactly the location of the file.  One single GET should be
> sufficient here. (possibly followed by others in case of failure, to
> get the diagnosis)

Actually it needs to GET the checksum file too, and check the archive is
not signed if not checksum file was available. So that's _at least_ two
GET. Throw in the signature checking by gpg, which probably accounts for
a significant part of the observed running time of cat-archive-log.

But I agree with you. The current behaviour is quite bad. The question
is how easy to optimise out are the unneeded GETs. I'll let the people
who actually know the code answer that one.

--
                                                            -- ddaa