[Gnu-arch-users] Re: s/GMT/UTC/

From: Jeremy Shaw
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: s/GMT/UTC/
Date: Thu, 09 Sep 2004 11:37:20 -0700

At Wed, 08 Sep 2004 10:18:48 +0900,
Miles Bader wrote:

> Jeremy Shaw <address@hidden> writes:
> > Some people feel that the current time stamps are nearly worthless and
> > should be removed altogether. I think this is a bit extreme, but it
> > would prevent someone from mistakenly believing the timestamps can be
> > trusted to any degree. (And it would 'fix' one of the rfc2822
> > incompatabilities).
>
> Note that the header name is "Date:", not "Precision-Timestamp:", and is
> of course very useful as such -- think "hmmm, this shit was comin' down
> in late september, what changesets are there from around then?".
>
> [Did somebody really suggest this header is "nearly worthless and should
> be removed altogether"?  Have they actually ever used arch?!?]

But, once again, you can only trust the date based on 'out of band'
information -- like knowing that most people tend to have at least the
date right on their machine, even if the time is off by 10 or 20
minutes.

But I get emails from people all the time who have really wacky time
and dates set on their machines...

I believe the suggestion to remove the date stamp was mostly made
during a moment of frustration, when someone realized they had to
rewrite a bunch of code, because the date stamps were useless to them
at that time :) I don't think they are really advocating the removal.

Jeremy Shaw.

Unless you are the
addressee (or authorized to receive for the addressee), you may not use, copy
or disclose to anyone
the message or any information contained in the message. If you have received
the message in error,
please advise the sender and delete the message.  Thank you.