Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Star-merge Fatally Wounded

From: Zenaan Harkness
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Star-merge Fatally Wounded
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2004 08:57:37 +1000

> > Short answer, for your immediate needs: if I were you, I'd first try
> > to eliminate the race conditions in your merges.  Either your
> > infrastructure should never attempt a "[***]" merge (described above)
> > or else your infrastructure should have an exception handler to
> > recover from this case.
>
> The race condition cannot be avoided without imposing a real burden on
> users. Our pqm policy was updated: "do not merge from the pqm-managed
> branch until you have received the failure or success message from pqm".
> That policy is annoying and slows people down. It causes frustration,
> and frustrated people make the world an unpleasant place to live in.
>
> However, we can implement a merge operator which relies on one nice
> property of pqm-managed branches: they only contain pure conflictless
> merges. And I will write this merge operator in the next days. Unless,
> of course, someone comes up with a more general solution.

Awesome! A rising cheer is heard from the sidelines.

BTW, can someone point me to where th acronym "pqm" is defined?
- I'm clueless atm sorry.

Finally, (perhaps it's where/what "pqm" is) but what/where is the
"recommended practice" to make things as palatable as possible for
wanna-stay-dumb Windows "click or die" type people (who I have to
support - and for me to understand how to do this merging stuff)?

tia
zenaan