Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Call for opinion. Breaking out cmd-* from libarch

From: Matthew Dempsky
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Call for opinion. Breaking out cmd-* from libarch
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2004 13:29:18 -0500

address@hidden (James Blackwell) writes:

> This got me to thinking that its probably about time to break the commands
> out of the libarch directory. We're fudging up our abstaction about whats
> what. As such, I'd like to make a tla-commands directory, and move
> the commands into there.
>
> Though doing this is congruent with heading off in the general direction
> of eventually librifying arch, the intent is not to rush headlong into "we
> should librify arch".  Rather, the intent is to clean up the filesystem
> slightly and to reinforce the abstraction about what belongs in libarch/
> and what belongs in tla-commands/
>
> Any opinions?

I wouldn't mind seeing that happen.  (I don't like browsing libarch/
with its 300+ files, but maybe I'm the exception?)

As an extension of Tom's first librify email, I'd say split libarch
into three directories: utility functions into libarch-util,
cmd-*.[ch] (and related) into libarch-cmds, and leave most of the
remaining code in libarch.

If we really wanted to reinforce the implicit abstraction barriers in
the code we could try to factor out libinventory and libchangeset and
impose a strict dependency ordering.