Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Merge tools that support .rej .orig rejects/con

From: John Meinel
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Merge tools that support .rej .orig rejects/conflicts
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 22:11:36 -0500

Martin Langhoff wrote:
I was aware of wiggle, and I use it every so often, as well as
--three-way. It seems, however, that emacs (thanks Matthiew) is the
only gui for complex merges available.

Hmmmmm. I guess it'll get better, but it is pretty sad at the moment.

cheers,

martin

At one point it was mentioned that it would be possible to create a .orig and a .new file. Then you could use any diff tool (like vimdiff, etc) to compare the differences between the two files.
Has anything come of that?

I guess it doesn't work in all cases. But if you can do 'diff3' that means you have a 'mine', 'older', and 'yours'. I believe 'mine' is the .orig file, it would be nice to have 'yours' brought into the picture, and maybe 'older', though I'm less sure of that one.

Otherwise it would seem you are correct, emacs is the only gui program that seems to handle rejected patches.

John
=:->