Re: [Gnu-arch-users] tla tag's help text

From: Tom Lord
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] tla tag's help text
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 09:25:12 -0700 (PDT)

    > From: Zenaan Harkness <address@hidden>

    > I have just got it in my head for the first time, that a tag is a
    > _branch_, not a label (at least, that's what it appears to be by
    > my reading of the docs).

A good thing to get into your head is the format of archives.

Understand that there are three kinds of revision:

        ~ those created by import
        ~ those created by commit
        ~ those created by tag

There are many ways to use those three kinds in combination but it
helps to have some understanding of what, at the lowest levels, those
mean.

It's roughly the difference getting a toy model airplane that you have
to assemble and getting a toy construction set (e.g., leggos or tinker
toys) with which you can build many different things.

    > "Create the continuation branch <em>tag-version which is equivalent to
    > <em>source-revision (plus a log entry). The terms tag, continuation,
    > continuation branch, and revision, are synonymous."

    > Now, if that description is still not entirely correct, then there
    > really is room for improvement here... based on the empirical example of
    > my misunderstanding.

It's not quite accurate.

There is a small problem, documentation wise.   People are accustomed
to using systems like CVS as magic black boxes.   Give it an
incantation and something you sorta-kinda understand happens.   Follow
a recipe book of incantations and CVS can help "make you go".

Arch is more like a collection of sharp knives than a magic black
box.   You can slice up your problems real well -- just what you want
-- but be skeptical of following recipes you don't grok.   (Arch core
isn't *that* hard to understand.   If you get how "diff/patch" can be
used instead of a revision control system, you're 80% of the way
there.)