Re: [Gnu-arch-users] libpatch hack WAS: --forward mostly harmless

From: Tom Lord
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] libpatch hack WAS: --forward mostly harmless
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 09:28:05 -0700 (PDT)

    > From: Johannes Berg <address@hidden>

    > The vu_ layer certainly could contribute to this solution; however I do
    > think it is -- as is -- too heavy-weight. We'd also need to consider the
    > "deployment" of vu_ in existing apps/libs like libz, "libpatch", ...

It's not a priority, of course.   Many apps do bizarre, stupid things.

That said: I have in the past converted some class unix apps to vu
users.  It was pretty easy and beneficial to do so.

    > For this to be really useful, a simple vu_ layer must exist that libraries
    > can trivially link,

You are assuming the answer to a "make or take" decision regarding
legacy software.   That's a mistake, imo.

I'll call "time" rather than replying to the rest of your message.
Partly it's just an "experience" thing and in "education" mode, I
think that just short quick points are the best answers on g-a-u.