Re: [Gnu-arch-users] .listing files

From: Tom Lord
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] .listing files
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2004 19:53:48 -0700 (PDT)

    > From: address@hidden (James Blackwell)

    > Ok then. My quick straw poll comes up with "one guy against, everyone
    > else for". I happen to be for it myself.

    > Jivera, Rob, Tom, (anybody else I missed), any opinions?

The presense of .listing files imposes otherwise unecessary
administrative burdens on archives (e.g., the need to notice when it
is necessary to run `archive-fixup' and then to actually do it).

In trying to save people from learning one thing by changing the
default, you would be setting them up to be burned by not having
learned a different thing.

In general, proposed design decisions aimed at helping people to
wallow in ignorance rather than learning a simple thing are a dubious
idea, imo.