[Fwd: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: tla undo - tla commit eats existing log]

From: Zenaan Harkness
Subject: [Fwd: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: tla undo - tla commit eats existing log]
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 13:50:52 +1000

-----Forwarded Message-----
> From: John Meinel <address@hidden>
> To: Zenaan Harkness <address@hidden>
> Cc: arch <address@hidden>
> Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: tla undo - tla commit eats existing log
> Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 21:57:36 -0500
>
> Zenaan Harkness wrote:
> > On Thu, 2004-09-23 at 12:08, Zenaan Harkness wrote:
> >
> >>I just ran:
> >>
> >>tla undo
> >>{make changes, review}
> >>tla commit
> >>
> >>And of course it went and gobbled up the log for my previous (was
> >>supposed to be "undo"ne change). Which didn't even have a subject line
> >>filled in.
> >>
> >>Feature request: can tla undo/redo include the in-progress log file (if
> >>any is there).
> >

> > So I tried to edit the file, to have a proper Summary: but alas,
> > the changed summary doesn't show up in tla logs -scD.
> >
> > So I tried to fix the md5sum, and still summary.
> >
> > Is there a way to hack this summary in, or revert it?
> >
> > tia
> > zen
> >

> This has also been mentioned in the past. Someone else wanted the
> logfile to be removed after undo. I think aba/fai might do it. But I
> would *not* try to edit the old summary at all. That is very close to
> changing history, and doing that is considered **bad*** mojo in arch.
> It's possible, I think everyone who has used arch has tried, (including
> myself :). But it *really* isn't worth the effort. As a side note, tla
> will let you commit an empty changeset. So you could always just commit
> again, only this time give the real summary, and a note that says this
> log is actually for the previous one.
>
> It's a lot cleaner, and doesn't involve hacking into any other files.
> This is especially true with signed archives. as you have to regen the
> signature as well. It just gets messy.

OK, I have changed my log, and the md5/checksum (didn't get
your email in time sorry).

I don't suppose I can easily revert these hacked files?

Or alternatively fix it so "tla logs" actually displays
according to the log?

I feel like my archive is permanently tainted now, somehow
dirty - I didn't realise this was such a bad thing to do.

If anyone knows, be much appreciated,
Zen