Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: tla undo - tla commit eats existing log

From: John Meinel
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: tla undo - tla commit eats existing log
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 21:57:36 -0500

Zenaan Harkness wrote:
On Thu, 2004-09-23 at 12:08, Zenaan Harkness wrote:

I just ran:

tla undo
{make changes, review}
tla commit

And of course it went and gobbled up the log for my previous (was
supposed to be "undo"ne change). Which didn't even have a subject line
filled in.

Feature request: can tla undo/redo include the in-progress log file (if
any is there).

So I tried to edit the file, to have a proper Summary: but alas,
the changed summary doesn't show up in tla logs -scD.

So I tried to fix the md5sum, and still summary.

Is there a way to hack this summary in, or revert it?

tia
zen

This has also been mentioned in the past. Someone else wanted the logfile to be removed after undo. I think aba/fai might do it. But I would *not* try to edit the old summary at all. That is very close to changing history, and doing that is considered **bad*** mojo in arch. It's possible, I think everyone who has used arch has tried, (including myself :). But it *really* isn't worth the effort. As a side note, tla will let you commit an empty changeset. So you could always just commit again, only this time give the real summary, and a note that says this log is actually for the previous one.

It's a lot cleaner, and doesn't involve hacking into any other files. This is especially true with signed archives. as you have to regen the signature as well. It just gets messy.

John
=:->