Re: [Gnu-arch-users] tla changes not showing file perms changes

From: John Meinel
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] tla changes not showing file perms changes
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 21:53:15 -0500

Zenaan Harkness wrote:
I think all permission changes are version controlled.

But last I knew there was a bug that if the only change to a file is permissions, it is not detected.

Use "touch <filename>" to update the timestamp, and then the permissions will show up.

Is this necessary for the commit as well, or just for viewing tla
changes? Ie, if I don't touch the files, will they not get committed,
even if they have perms changes (a fine detail with a big effect)?

And if I do touch every file (say with a find), is tla intelligent
enough to only commit those that actually have changes?

Yes. I have done "chmod" and a commit, but it didn't take. You have to also update the timestamp.

However, tla does check to see if files have actually changed. It *only* commits their changes, (it does a diff against the earlier version).

So yes to both questions.

There is another problem if you are using hard-linked trees, but I'm guessing you are not. The short answer is with hard-linking, changing the local also changes the revlib, and this revlib corruption was not detected (again, this may be fixed).

Am almost there, but since this is a problem, I therefore
need to remember to touch every file that is chmod'ed, to make
sure it is un-hardlinked from the revlib. In which case, for my
coworker (shared revlib which is what I'm trying to get working)
it would rest my mind at ease if he doesn't hard link his trees.
Being on windows, he doesn't much care for file permissions anyway...

If you were using hard-linked trees, you need to get rid of the revlib and get it new so that it has the right permissions. But remember, the trees are only hardlinked if you used "get --link" or "changes --link". If you didn't purposefully link them, then they are not linked.

Also, I *think* that if you touch a hardlinked file, it will change the revlib enough that it will notice, and consider itself corrupted. Definitely if you actually change the file, I've had some small problems with permissions, but tla has always recognized actual file changes/corruption of the revlib.

tia
zen

John
=:->