Re: [Gnu-arch-users] No release forthcoming

From: Tom Lord
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] No release forthcoming
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2004 11:27:49 -0700 (PDT)

[possibly duplicate post]

    > From: address@hidden (James Blackwell)

    > Yeah, its very frustrating to me to.

At the risk that you'll take is as nothing more than insult upon
injury, believe it or not, I really did mean with my love/hate combo
of ill-considered posts to point out a path where, imo, regardless of
how you feel about me, your acclaim from the other developers and
positive contributions to the project can continue.

And, like the others, I don't see any obvious reason for you (other
than it might be something you personally really *want* to do) to stop
being the integration guy, rc-maker, clock-keeper, etc.   As various
people have expressed: while the issues we argue over are (from my
perspective) critical in nature --- they are teeny tiny in terms of
practical impact.

That's a little exaggerated.  I do see plenty of reason for you to not
resume your role without some more collective effort to formalize it a
bit more and establish unambiguously what the project's process is.

(Didn't mean to insult you with "*There's* my friend."  I meant
roughly: "*There's* the guy who even I will strongly agree is
extremely friendly to the project."   That would have been a better
reply than "Child," and I'm sorry for not thinking of it in time.)

    > > > Tom's right to take some time off.

No such luxury but, damn, y'all sure got my attention!

    > I don't expect you to thank me for this.

That's why it's so fun to do so :-)

    > I've been clear as well; my intent from the very beginning was
    > to, through sheer force of will, force the release process to
    > happen; with or without Tom.

Just don't try to force things onto ftp.gnu.org.  Instead, we should
be pumping up the value (but clear about the risks) of release
candidates.

In the fantasy world where we just dust off and you resume?   I would
think the thing to do is to run the rc process through 1 or 2 more
cycles and then start broadcasting the announcements of them farther
and wider.    In an ideal world, we'd want as many people as can
afford the modest risk to be trying them out.

That said: I don't think that simply dusting off and resuming is the
right thing.   We need to get clearer about the process and we do need
to be moving in the direction of the voting system.