Re: [Gnu-arch-users] tla help

From: Zenaan Harkness
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] tla help
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2004 10:26:31 +1000

> ================================== example ==================================
> tla command [options]
>   * quick help [to be replaced when using a given help category]
>   get        : construct a project tree for a revision
>   changes    : report about local changes in a project tree
>   commit     : archive a changeset-based revision
>   replay     : apply revision changesets to a project tree
>   update     : update a project tree to reflect recent archived changes
>   star-merge : merge mutually merged branches
>
>   help : more extensive command list, see below for categories to be given as
>     options. tla automatically completes to the shortest match.
>
>   help categories: all, user, tree, inventory, patchset, archivetransaction,
>     archive, patchlog, multiproject, branches, cache, revisionlibrary,
>     scripting
>
> Use tla command -h for help on `command', or tla command -H for detailed help
> extensive documentation is available at (url|path)
> ================================== example ==================================
>
> you can add 5 more commands to the quick help and still make it fit on a
> 80x25
> terminal. the path in the last line can be changed by distributors/packagers
> to a local copy of tutorial and documentation.
>
> patrick mauritz

Awesome!

Now _that_ is a concrete and practical example. I second this.
It gives the newbie the essentials, with simple pointers to
get more help (the full list, per-command, etc).

I know I was intimidated by tla, even after running through
the tutorial, and only in the last few days, after diving into
revision libraries and having to redo stuff a number of times
(perms et al), am I finally _feeling_ as though I'm in control
of my revisions.

Thanks for taking the time,
Zen