Re: [Gnu-arch-users] BUG: feature request: 'tla chmod' which 'touch'es f

From: Zenaan Harkness
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] BUG: feature request: 'tla chmod' which 'touch'es files
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 12:54:40 +1000

On Mon, 2004-09-27 at 11:53, Aaron Bentley wrote:
> Zenaan Harkness wrote:

> >>How about a read-only NFS mount?
> >

> > Exactly.
> >
> > So, arch must handle file perms outside of the file itself.
>
> No.  Read-only mounting has no effect on the file permissions.

Ahh, of course, now that I think about it.

Anyway, why is a read only mount a good solution for a shared revlib?
I would want to avoid nfs wherever possible - I currently have three
users (me, coworker, and "stable" arch tree/user) on same box, so
why would I want to use nfs just to get some read-only attribute.
And in my case, it's a greedy revlib, so each user needs to be able
to write to it too... isn't that the whole point of a revlib?

tia
zen