Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Problems getting archives with tla

From: Charles Duffy
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Problems getting archives with tla
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 12:28:46 -0500

On Wed, 2004-09-29 at 12:12, Phil Frost wrote:
> WebDAV == HTTP + write access. Another way to think of it is
> HTTP = read-only WebDAV, which is how tla thinks of the world. So when
> it says "webdav", just say "HTTP".

Not quite. Arch takes advantage of WebDAV's directory-listing query when
available -- but HTTP doesn't support it, and hence needs .listing files
even for read-only access, whereas archives in WebDAV can have the
server provide a current listing in a consistant format at any time, and
so don't need .listing files.

My archive is available read-only via WebDAV and doesn't have .listing
files, so I'm quite sure that my understanding is correct as to this
aspect.