Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Re: [UPDATE: merge-65] Clarified help messages

From: Robin Farine
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Re: [UPDATE: merge-65] Clarified help messages for tag --seal and --fix
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 14:10:23 +0200

On Thursday 30 September 2004 13.00, Matthew Palmer wrote:

> I thought that the term "branch" was a general one to refer to
> both the second element in an unqualified revision spec, as well
> as a general term for an ordered set of changesets.

Yes, "branch" has many different meanings, even a precise context
does not suffice to disambiguates its interpretation. To denote a
ordered set of changesets, possibly spanning Arch versions,
"development path" seems more appropriate (at the risk of violating
a trade mark :).

> Certainly, there are plenty of uses of the term "branch"
> where "version" should technically be used.

Especially true in Arch terminology.

Robin