Re: [OT] Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Re: community spirit

From: Thomas Lord
Subject: Re: [OT] Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Re: community spirit
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2004 12:31:25 -0800 (PST)

    > From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <address@hidden>

    >     Thomas> Next moves if that /isn't/ the game? --- hmmm i dunno.
    >     Thomas> "Me" making "them" an offer that's "/easy/ to refuse (and
    >     Thomas> hopefully easier to accept)?"

    > Good luck, but I'm afraid you lack the vocabulary to phrase an
    > acceptable offer.

>From my perspective, you have expressed fear that those whom I've
addressed are bigots and/or illiterates.  So I hope you are wrong and
I act on that basis.

Yeah, sure --- consider me "trailer trash", asshole[*].   Anyway, back
to business.

    [*] words are funny.  "they" don't use swears and recognized
        insults so much but, as one who grew up in their community of
        discourse -- well, they just use more "refined" swears and
        insults, often when they presume the target of them isn't
        familiar with /their/ vocuabulary.  There is little that is
        more vicariously embarassing than a preppy in the same room
        who /thinks/ he is talking over your head about you to a third
        party.  So, when I casually swear and insult to convey nuance,
        at least I am not trying to deceive, like some people do.

    >     Thomas> The opposite of bribery and price fixing and other forms
    >     Thomas> of economic hostility is progressive commerce, more or
    >     Thomas> less, no?

    >     Thomas> And the opposite of public to-the-death debate is private
    >     Thomas> consultation in a spirit of community, yes?

    > *sigh*  No, and no.  This is precisely what I meant above by "lack the
    > vocabulary."

I get enough feedback from people /not/ of "their" class to be
confident that I have clearly expressed a proposal for a friendly and
positive development.   I get enough feedback from people /of/ "their"
class to know that there are no class-based barriers to having a
grand-ol'-time at a sitdown with these folks.   If you want to excuse
them on the choice of "vocabulary", maybe the next question becomes
why some groups make such a fetish of that.   But mostly, I don't
consider you to be, in /this/ corner of the discussion, a spokesman
for "them".

To the extent that you speak for "them", my reply is: "Grow up, ya'
pansies.  I'm here to talk business with you just fine, once you get
over yourselves.  Don't be so afraid of a word.   Just because I call
you a fuckhead doesn't mean I regard you as a fuckhead -- that's
pretty obvious to just about any /normal/ person."