[Gnu-arch-users] Re: Archives vs. categories vs. versions

From: Miles Bader
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Archives vs. categories vs. versions
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 14:09:10 +0900

John A Meinel <address@hidden> writes:
> As far as I know, it is solely for performance. The problem is that
> after you get 200+ revisions into a single version, you start noticing
> that some of the algorithms are O(N) (example, checking to see if you
> have an old revision in your library when the lib is empty causes a
> round trip for each revision, Cycling your archive breaks this check).

Hmmm, my emacs branch just hit 700 revisions (in this archive), and I
have no obvious problems in daily usage -- and I access it remotely over
a slow link!  However the "tag" command does seem to have some
bogosities with many revisions.

Anyway, even if this is a problem, I think bumping the version is pretty
much equivalent to changing your archive in this respect

-Miles
--
Would you like fries with that?