Arbitrary file classes (was Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: darcs vs tla)

From: Adrian Irving-Beer
Subject: Arbitrary file classes (was Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: darcs vs tla)
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 12:21:25 -0500

On Wed, Nov 17, 2004 at 12:31:37PM -0600, John A Meinel wrote:

> Yeah, arch having precious/backup/junk/source/unrecognized is more
> confusing. I only ever use precious/junk/source, though generally the
> distinction is minor.

I would love to see the ability to define arbitrary classes of files,
and then adjust tla's handling of each.

It would look something like the tagging-methods table where it
mentions how tla handles each type of entry (copy locally, safe to
clobber, archive), as well as 'descend into', 'tagging method', and
'untagged-source'.

That way, if I were so inclined, I could declare that all my Perl
scripts are class 'perl', method tagline + untagged-source
unrecognised, etc., while  all PDFs are class 'pdf', method explicit +
untagged-source precious.

Then a 'tla inventory --class perl' for example would get me all the
scripts, good for putting into Makefiles via $(shell ...) or the like.

I have no idea what the syntax for this would look like, of course.
Wonder if this is just a pipe dream.