Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: [BUG] i18n (Re: Message translation - basic fra

From: John A Meinel
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: [BUG] i18n (Re: Message translation - basic framework)
Date: Mon, 06 Dec 2004 13:43:30 -0600

Stefan Monnier wrote:
I've integrated your code into baz:
address@hidden/package-framework--i18n--1.1
address@hidden/bazaar--devel--1.1--patch-18
address@hidden/bazaar-debian--i18n--1.1

I'll be pushing this into the mainline shortly.

Anyone who wants to do translations : they'd be massively appreciated.

Please be super extra careful that translations don't make batch operations
from a front-end more difficult.  Front-ends sometimes have to parse the
output of the command.

        Stefan

What if the front-end could just always issue the command:

"LANG=c tla <blah>"

Or do it by setting the environment before the call, etc.

Wouldn't that cause it to always report back non-internationalized messages?

And if as a new front end you want to display the internationalized form, you can have your front end use the gettext() functionality to translate whatever messages you get. This also has the advantage that your front-end is part-way to being internationalized itself.

I think the best way is to get tla-2.0 librified and out the door so that you can have much more meaningful return values, without having to parse possibly ambiguous text. But in the mean-time it seems like frontends can easily work around the internationalization parsing problem.

John
=:->