Re: [Gnu-arch-users] branch accounting/status tool

From: Aaron Bentley
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] branch accounting/status tool
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 08:55:52 -0500

John Arbash Meinel wrote:
Robert Anderson wrote:

I think a branch accounting tool that does the following would be
useful:

You specify a version, and it recursively goes through all of
your archives, and finds all versions which were branched from
it.  For each branch, it figures out if:

This seems interesting, but honestly it seems like to be really useful, you need to cross archives somehow.

I'm not sure if "goes through all of your archives" means "goes through all archives that you control" or "goes through all archives you have registered".

It would, obviously, be very slow to go through all remote archives.

To do it locally, one could use the revision library instead of the archive, deriving info from log files. This is a bit less reliable, but probably adequate to the purpose. And much, much faster.

Aaron
--
Aaron Bentley
Director of Technology