Re: [Gnu-arch-users] strategy to handle back-fixies

From: Andrei A. Voropaev
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] strategy to handle back-fixies
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2005 13:18:55 +0100

On Fri, Jan 21, 2005 at 09:29:55AM -0600, John A Meinel wrote:
[...]
> The only difference between what you said, and the recommendation, is
> the idea of keeping a "release" branch. Often, it is not good enough to
> know what the latest 1.0 version is (1.0.1, 1.0.2, etc). You need to be
> able to get a specific one. Customer Foo has installed 1.0.1, you've
> already done some work and are on 1.2, but you have also backported some
> fixes and have a 1.0.3 release.
[...]

Ok. After carefully studying everything I feel like I got things
straight. (All sigh :) Really my proposal was also right, but kind of
less convinient. I was going to create new branches for each release I
did (including patch levels). Your proposal with release branch
eliminates this, since patch level shall correspond with 'patch-1',
'patch-2' etc.

Ok. Thanks for your help.