Re: [Gnu-arch-users] [BUG] Bashisms in tests

From: mlh
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] [BUG] Bashisms in tests
Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2005 13:17:53 +1100

On Wed, Mar 02, 2005 at 10:24:13AM +0900, Miles Bader wrote:
> On Wed, 2 Mar 2005 11:09:48 +1100, address@hidden
> <address@hidden> wrote:
> > That's not the only bashism and I suspect it will not be the last.
>
> Sure, but are any of them actually hard to fix?
>
> > My vote is to just require bash.  Make it explicit with #!/bin/bash
> > if you like.
>
> Instead, why not just fix the problems as they're reported?

Yeah but why play whack-a-mole.  Let's fix it and make it stay fixed.
It's not just bash either.  It's grep and egrep and sed.

> > Or redo all tests in some more standardised language -- python perhaps.
>
> That seems even sillier.

I admit I was being a little mischievous with that suggestion, because
I knew it would get a reaction.  But it _is_ a solution.

If the requirement is a standardised scripting language on unix/linux
the solution has to be perl or python.  Toss a coin.

I'll bet there a very few baz developers without one or both on their systems
already.

Solaris and HPUX have perl5.

> "Hey let's add massive dependencies!!"

We've already got massive dependences

gnu tar, gnu patch, gnu make, gnu diff (of a particular version)
expat, neon, ssl plus a few others which escape me the moment.

Unlike perl5 these are not included with most unixes.
The small subset of perl needed to write these tests wouldn't tax
developers too much more than the bash equivalent.

Matt