Re: [Gnu-arch-users] merge trouble

From: Aaron Bentley
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] merge trouble
Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2005 14:38:46 -0500

Robert Anderson wrote:
I've always gone out of my way to keep my branches related in simple
ways so as to avoid merge troubles, but it looks like I've got things
in a bind this time.

I have two branches A and B.   B is a feature branch which is intended
to fully merge into A.  (The situation is actually much more complex
than this, but I HOPE this is enough to describe the problem.)

Three times in the history of these branches,  I have done single
patch one-off replay merges ("cherry picking") of a patch from B to A,
when I'd made small fixes in the course of work on B that were needed
right away in A (I know, there's a better way, but that's what I did.)

Now I would like to merge to get B fully up to date with A, in
preparation for the final merge of everything on B into A.

replay --skip-present A works pretty well for this case. It will apply all the revisions in A that are not merges of B. After that, you can do sync-tree $LATEST-A to fix up the patchlogs.

Alternatively, you can use baz merge, since it handles cherrypicks safely. (It defaults to three-way, and that's what you want, because with the cherrypicking, there will be some changes that are identical in each tree)

You could also do fai apply-changes ttag tagcur --diff3

Aaron

--
Aaron Bentley
Director of Technology