[Gnu-arch-users] Arch vs. Darcs/BitKeeper: WC & Repo vs. WC == Repo?

From: Deliverable Mail
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Arch vs. Darcs/BitKeeper: WC & Repo vs. WC == Repo?
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 14:23:55 -0500

Bob -- thanks for the pointers.  As an evaluator, I found that I
cannot simply import a tree into tla without fixing the regexps.
"Unrecognized" is really a poor choice of meaning, as they _are_
recognized, as you point out as well.

What bothers me more is that the implied meaning of untagged-source is
to avoid those regexps below, but setting it to junk still failed to
import the tree.

Long names could be aliased, as completion still is awkward -- why
should I start with my e-mail address all the time?  If arch uses that
for uniqueness, then humans would rather see something shorter, and
tla can have an alias, since it already remembers locations.
Similarly, imposing three-part names is dictatorial, and if that's
necessary for internal structure, why not use aliasing here too?

Most importantly, I started this thread to inquire about arch's
two-level model versus bk/darcs in-place repository == working copy.
Can someone please provide a scenario where that would help immensely?

Cheers,
Alexy