RE: [Gnu-arch-users] tla star-merge in cycle, how to work around?

From: David Allouche
Subject: RE: [Gnu-arch-users] tla star-merge in cycle, how to work around?
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2005 17:14:10 +0200

On Tue, 2005-03-29 at 12:02 +0400, Попков Александр wrote:
> John Arbash Meinel wrote:
>
> >You could always have your vsc-merge script check to see if the only
> >change is a patch-log, and if so, undo the change. You are right, if you
> >have 2 trees star-merging eachother, they continually spiral, since each
> >time adds a new patch-log saying that it was merged against the other tree.
>
> For this I must do:
>
> tla get-changeset archive/revision tmp_dir
> and check for directories:
>  tmp_dir/new-files-archive
>  tmp_dir/patches
>  tmp_dir/removed-files-archive
> doesn't contain anything exclude "{arch}/..."
>
> True? Or exists easier method?

I think that's roughly the right way, except:

      * the changeset should be generated by "tla changes" just after
        the merge. The changeset is not in the archive since the whole
        point of the test is figuring out whether or not you want to
        commit it.
      * you also need to check for permission changes, symlink changes,
        etc. I would rather use the inventory files and test that the
        ORIG inventory file is empty (nothing was deleted or modified)
        and the MOD inventory file only mentions patchlogs, which is
        more specific than just changes in {arch}. You definitely want
        to catch things like changes to {arch}/=tagging-method.

--
                                                            -- ddaa