[Gnu-arch-users] tla star-merge in cycle, how to work around?

From: Попков Александр
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] tla star-merge in cycle, how to work around?
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2005 14:01:57 +0300

Hello GNU ARCH users!

I am having next ARCH usage schema:

- Each project stored in one "main" archive (repository);
- Each developer has self-owned "local" archive (repository);
- Each developer store work projects tree in ~/PROJ/...
- For operate above project developer must tag it from main to local archive;
    (tla tag address@hidden/project... address@hidden/project...)
- After some part of work finished, developer must store changes to main archive
    (cd $some_tmp_dir
     tla get address@hidden/project...
     cd project...
     tla star-merge address@hidden/project...
     tla commit -s "Merge next changes from local archive: ...")
   This operation may cause conflicts, if another developer
   merged similar changes before this developer.
- For avoid possible conflicts in future and automatically sync-up
  local developers archives with main I want to run cron job
  every night. This job must scan /home/*/PROJ directories
  and for each valid arch work tree do:
    cd $finded_dir
    tla star-merge address@hidden/project...
    tla changes -q
    if test $? -ne 0; then
      tla commit -s "Automerged from main archive"
      ... send e-mail notify to developer ...
    fi
  As a result in morning developer receive e-mail about
  automerge process and have up-to-dated project in local
  archive. All sounds good!

Only the one problem I see now. For example next situation:
1) Developer merges changes from local to main archive;
   (and arch generate the new patch-log)
2) All another developers don't change this archive;
3) At night cron run job for automerge, and this patch-log
   (as a new changeset) will be merged and commited to
   local archive.
4) Local archive again has changes (last commited patch-log)
   and developer go to point 1)

Is exist right method to handle this situation?
Or may be I am use broken ARCH usage schema?

Thanks in advance!

---
WBR, Popkov Alexander.