Re: [Gnu-arch-users] undo patch question

From: Matthew Hannigan
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] undo patch question
Date: Tue, 3 May 2005 10:21:25 +1000

On Mon, May 02, 2005 at 09:28:53PM +0200, Tom Cato Amundsen wrote:
> Say I have committed lots of patches, patch-1 .. patch-40,
> and now I want to undo the changes made in patch-19, patch-20
> and patch-25. What is the easiest and safest way to do this?

I think the most straightforward, obvious (and therefore safest)
way is to create a new branch from patch-18, and then apply (replay)
only the desired patches.

        tla tag --setup original...patch-18  new--b--v          # or baz branch
        tla get new--b--v
        for i in $(seq 21 24)
        do
                tla replay original...patch-$i
                # tla commit
        done
        for i in $(seq 26 40)
        do
                tla replay original...patch-$i
                # tla commit
        done

Do a tla log-for-merge/commit after each replay
if you want to preserve separate changesets, and
information about what you replayed from.

You could also set-tree-version + other stuff, then
replay --reverse each of 19,20, 25 but it's not clear
to me whether that would result in the exact same
tree, in general.

Matt