[Gnu-arch-users] Re: [GNU-arch-dev] [ANNOUNCE] Arch 2.0 release (revc.0.

From: Eric Wong
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: [GNU-arch-dev] [ANNOUNCE] Arch 2.0 release (revc.0.0x2)
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2005 23:06:53 -0700

Thomas Lord <address@hidden> wrote:

> A new release of Arch 2.0, revc,0.0x2, is now available.

This looks exciting, and it seems fast, too.  I definitely look forward
to the day when this can replace tla/baz for me.

I have several comments and questions below that didn't show up in the
docs.

> This release fixes some bugs reported regarding Cygwin (the ",es.exe"
> bug and the "Cygwin pipes mangle line endings" bug -- both in the
> build process).

Windows compatiblity is an early priority.  Interesting... I guess this
is part of the reason revc-{z,uz} exist instead of gzip?  Unless you
were after the size reduction from not having gzip headers...  Of course
the downside is that revc must be installed to access archives by-hand.
I guess I can live with this, it beats looking for g{diff,patch,tar} on
some Unices.

> This release a new, nicer archive format.   Revc archives are now
> suitable for double-duty as revision control archives and general
> purpose project FTP sites containing other files (such as release
> tar bundles).

Cool.  I didn't get a chance to try the older releases, unfortunately.
Also, when are read-only HTTP archive mirrors planned?  This was one of
the biggest reasons I was originally attracted to Arch back in the day.

> Revc is currently self-hosting -- I'll be making my archive available
> for download by rsync shortly (I'll post a separate announcement).

I've a few scripts that I built that I'm calling revc-tools for now
(separate announcement).

Should users manage commit messages/summaries manually?  Is direct
support from revc planned for this planned in the future or should it be
left to external tools?

Other comments, thoughts:

I really, really like using tla undo and tla redo to test things without
committing.  Hopefully these can be implemented soon (with
rename/add/delete support).

revc-changes: You probably know this, but everyone likes unified diffs :)

--
Eric Wong