Re: [Gnu-arch-users] arch, baz, bzr, git archive formats

From: jblack
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] arch, baz, bzr, git archive formats
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 15:11:06 -0400

On Fri, Aug 19, 2005 at 11:33:49PM -0700, Andy Tai wrote:
> Hi, there are several archive formats out there that
> are or being planned to be covered by the present and
> future versions of Arch.  While there are some
> annoyances of the current Arch 1/baz format (not "user
> friendly", problem on MS Windows systems), Arch 2.0
> and bzr have their own still evolving formats.
>
> I wonder what are the advantages and the disadvantages
> of the new Arch 2.0 format vs. the bzr format?

Arch 2.0 looks like is DOA, so to compare against arch...

 * Collapsed filesystem storage - As you mentioned above, it caused a bit
   of a problem with certain limited filesystems. This turns out to be a
   problem for larger projects that are cross-platform (apache and python
   come to mind quickly)

 * Collapsed namespace - No categories, versions or archives. A location
   is a branch, a branch is named according to its location (currently)

---

Disadvantages:

 * bzr (aka bazaar 2.x) currently suffers from the same history buildup
   problems that bazaar and arch do.

--
 James Blackwell      |   Life is made of the stuff that hasn't killed
 Tell someone a joke! |   you yet.                       - yours truly