Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Future of GNU Arch, bazaar and bazaar-ng ... ?

From: martin f krafft
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Future of GNU Arch, bazaar and bazaar-ng ... ?
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 19:10:11 +0200

also sprach John A Meinel <address@hidden> [2005.08.23.1850 +0200]:
> Method 3: Go to *everyone's* personal working directory, and make
> sure that they have ~/.arch-params/hook setup correctly before
> allowing them to commit to the main repository. Have them vow not
> to mess anything up, on pain of being denied commit access.

Imagine 100 users. Imagine the pain. I want in-archive hooks!

> Just remember, that while you probably want your mainline to
> always be consistent, it is very useful to be able to commit
> a broken tree (like because you are falling asleep/going
> home/going to work), even if only in a local tree. (Though going
> to work might require pushing those changes somewhere else).

It's a recommendation I give to most of my co-coders (which
I borrowed from Kent Beck's "Test-Driven Development): when going to
sleep, make sure your tests are *not* running successfully, so that
you can be back developing at 100% the next morning in no time. :)

> One of the issues I have with Aegis is that it requires all
> changes to pass the test suite (and expects you to add a new test
> for any new changes). I think this is a great thing when you have
> a stable codebase, but to me it hurts incrementally changing and
> fixing things up. But that is also what branches are for.

... or floating patches in your working checkout, which have not
been made public yet. :)

  \____ echo mailto: !#^."<*>"|tr "<*> mailto:"; address@hidden

invalid/expired pgp (sub)keys? use subkeys.pgp.net as keyserver!
spamtraps: address@hidden

if you are walking on thin ice,
you might as well dance!