[Gnu-arch-users] Re: The future of GNU Arch users

From: Matthieu Moy
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: The future of GNU Arch users
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 16:15:29 +0200

> I'm wondering about the future of GNU Arch users.  I've been using tla
> for a year or so and I've always considered it a good tool, even today.
> However, it seems that many (most?) people on this list don't consider
> tla/baz as valuable tools anymore and are considering moving to GIT or
> Bazaar 2 ASAP (which is, IMO, quite a radical change).

I'd compare this to CVS/Subversion situation.

Subversion has been designed to be a kind of CVS Version 2, but is
implemented as a complete rewrite with a bit different concepts.
Subversion is now really better than CVS, and CVS itself is not really
evolving, but many people are still using CVS.

Same will be for Bazaar 1 and Bazaar 2. Bazaar 2 will soon be a much
better alternative to Bazaar 1, but I guess Bazaar 1 will still be
used for some time. Canonical will support it for bugfixes for some
time. Afterwards, if there are enough users, sure someone will
volunteer to maintain it.

About tla, AFAIK, all the developers interested in contributing to GNU
Arch migrated to Bazaar (because it was the only way to get patches
accepted), and then for many of them to Bazaar 2. tla is around 2
man-year behind Bazaar, I don't see any reason why I'd downgrade from
Bazaar to tla right now.

> The funny thing is that while GNU Arch is already being buried,

I'd say that GNU Arch has changed its name and its maintainer, not
that it is being buried.

--
Matthieu