[Gnu-arch-users] it's all about me (not)

From: Thomas Lord
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] it's all about me (not)
Date: Fri, 02 Dec 2005 19:36:09 -0800

I hate the "it's all about tom" aspect of this
mailing list at least, and probably much more,
than my harshest critics on this list.

Yet I find there to be a moral imperative that
drives my participation in them (see my recent
"position paper" post).

So:

Matthieu:

> I believe you if you say you're in a bad period, but you still have
> many years to find another great thing you can do. If you die now, you
> wont have a chance.

> My advice is to find a job unrelated from computer science, and keep
> your free time to hack.

As a wise person once said: "If wishes and buts were candy and nuts
we'd *all* have a bowl of granola."

You assume that following your (sorry, but, rather obvious) advice
is actually *possible*.

That is certainly not true in general and seems, afaict, to not
be true for me in particular.

Here is my counter-advice to people 15 years younger than me,
not horribly in debt, and active in the free software/open source
techniques industry:

Get out now.  Hunker down, take a day job, go underground and
plot a civilized revolution.   The captains of this industry are
insane and the free software community has come to be an exploited
resource.

RMS will tell you that I'm exaggerating while he's on his way to
his next all-expenses-paid engagement.