Re: [Gnu-arch-users] licensing question

From: Andy Tai
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] licensing question
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 16:21:18 -0800

On 3/16/06, Thomas Lord <address@hidden> wrote:
> I would like to solicit the community's opinion about a new commercial
> service I am considering offering.
>   You will pay me $5,000/yr for every CPU on which your installation
>   of a GNU Hello binary, compiled from the sources I provide, is
>   runnable.  For this purpose, multi-core chips count as a single CPU.
>
>   I reserve the right to come and inspect your facilities and records,
>   twice per year, during business hours, to ensure compliance.  If I
>   discover that you have made a binary derived from the sources I
>   provide runnable on more CPUs than you have paid for, you will owe
>   me $5,000 per additional CPU, plus 4% interest compounded monthly --
>   because presumptively, that means you are using my support services
>   to a greater degree than you've paid for.

Do I own money if I put a binary on an additional machine and I do not
want to use your support service on that additional machine no matter
what problems may rise?

And if I give the source to my neighbor so he can run on his machine,
and he does not want to use the support service?

I would guess if the answer to both is no, then there is no conflict
with the GPL.

Of course this is my personal view.