[Gnu-arch-users] Re: Licensing Question

From: Thomas Lord
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Licensing Question
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 16:30:13 -0800

Andy:
> Do I own money if I put a binary on an additional machine and I do not
> want to use your support service on that additional machine no matter
> what problems may rise?

The contract says what it says.   If you want to increase the number of
Installed Systems -- defined as those machines on which you run this
code -- you'd better pay me more.

*Maybe* the *intent* here is to charge in proportion the number of
people who read my quarterly joke but that isn't what the contract
literally says.  It says quite plainly that if you install more than
you've paid for, you owe money.

> And if I give the source to my neighbor so he can run on his machine,
> and he does not want to use the support service?

Interestingly, you are free to give the source to your neighbor.  It's
only if you "self help" by installing additional copies that I have a
claim on you.