[Gnu-arch-users] Re: Licensing Question

From: Thomas Lord
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Licensing Question
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 16:40:05 -0800

Matthew:
>>  If I discover that you have made a binary derived from the sources I
> I don't get it; Centos is still going ok.

Centos can take my GNU Hello sources, compile them, and distribute
those binaries (assuming they make source available and take pains
to exclude my additional file with restrictive copyright).

However, what if I audit a customer and find that they have
more copies of GNU Hello installed than they've paid for?
By the wording of the contract, they owe me more money plus
interest.

Of course, because I'm wearing a fancy suit my Enterprise customers
will trust binaries from me but not from Centos.  Of course, they
are, for the most part, too damn clueless and lazy to figure out how
to manage their stacks for themselves.

So, Centos is fine but in the target market -- nobody can/will/wishes
to use it.

Today "Enterprises" and tomorrow, everywhere.