Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: baz format archives in tla

From: Thomas Lord
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: baz format archives in tla
Date: Tue, 04 Apr 2006 21:12:41 -0700

Miles Bader wrote:
"Andy Tai" <address@hidden> writes:
 * Are there any real advantages to "baz format" archives?
the directory structure is slightly simplified...

Right, but what effect does that have?  I don't spend a lot of time
actually looking inside archive directories, so from a user perspective it
would seem to not make a difference.  Does it affect the efficiency of tla
operations at all (by _far_ the biggest problem with tla is speed)?

As I recall, the baz archive format successfully:

1. Implements a half-assed non-attempt at Windows portability.
2. Ensures that baz and tla are not compatible unless tla merges comparable changes.
   (which it did, of course -- unfortunately -- my bad -- misplaced faith).
3. Gives an excuse for a "design discussion" (heh) in public between RobertC and me.