Re: [Gnu-arch-users] [MERGE-REQUEST] `make-archive' and existing directo

From: Thomas Lord
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] [MERGE-REQUEST] `make-archive' and existing directories
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2006 07:48:04 -0700

Andy, Ludovic,

Thanks Ludovic but Andy please do not apply that patch.

The main problem reported in the Savannah bug report appears
to be a user error.   In this case, tla did the right thing by signalling
an error.   With Ludovic's patch, tla would do the wrong thing
by making an archive at (what is probably) the wrong location.

-t

Ludovic Courtès wrote:
Hi,

I have a one-line patch in my archive[0] allowing for `make-archive' to
work properly even if the target directory already exists.  For an
illustration of the problem and how this affects Savannah users, you can
look at [1].

  patch-22
      make-archive: Allow for the creation of an archive when directory
      is not empty.

While I understand that, by having `make-archive' fail when the target
directory already exists, `tla' places itself on the "safe side", I
believe it currently does more harm than good, especially wrt. to
Savannah.  And, in any case, running the same `make-archive' command
twice will fail even with this patch applied (fortunately).

Thanks,
Ludovic.

[0] http://www.laas.fr/~lcourtes/software/arch-2005/
    tla--devo--1.3