Re: [Gnu-arch-users] [MERGE-REQUEST] `make-archive' and existing directo

From: Andy Tai
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] [MERGE-REQUEST] `make-archive' and existing directories
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2006 10:37:00 -0700

On 9/13/06, Ludovic Courtès <address@hidden> wrote:
> In light of the previous comments in this thread, would Ludovic mind to
> modify the patch so it only creates an archive in an empty directory... or I
> will modify it to make tla to create the archive only if the preexisting
> directory is empty.

The issue is that this is not easily implementable.

On Unix-like file systems, checking whether a directory is empty can by looking at the `st_nlink' field of `struct stat'.
However, I'm not sure similar features can be used over SFTP, HTTP,
etc.

Thus, I think we should just forget about this patch.

OK, so let's just keep this discussion in the mail list archive for future reference...

Thanks,
Andy

Thanks,
Ludovic.